The research areas of this scholarship are: Scholarships are awarded to learn skills that will better meet the needs of the 21st century economy.
Who can apply to this scholarship? Eligibility criteria for the U.S.
· Egypt Higher Education Initiative LOTUS Scholarship Program include:
· Egyptian citizenship (Egyptian citizens who are also U.S. citizens or holders of a U.S. Green Card are not eligible. Egyptian citizens who have any other second nationality may apply.)
· Thanawya Amma Certificate with the following statuses as of July 15, 2014:
· Student in third year secondary at an Egyptian public school, experimental school or Azhari school.
· Minimum score of 85% on second year Thanaweya Amma exam, and minimum of 85% cumulative Thanaweya Amma score for both second and third years for old Thanaweya Amaa, and Minimum score of 85% on Third secondary year Thanaweya Amma exam for new Thanaweya Amma.
· Active involvement in school or university, or community activities including, but not limited to: student council, clubs, sports, community service, etc. Highly competitive applicants will be serving in leadership roles in these activities.
· Demonstrated high financial need.
Benefits of the scholarship: U.S.-Egypt Higher Education Initiative LOTUS Program Scholarship packages will include the following: -Full tuition and payment of all university fees for the duration of study (1 year English language and Academic Preparation Program and 4 years academic degree studies) -Housing for the duration of study in secured, single-gender university housing buildings or apartment buildings that are rented and monitored by the universities -Transportation on university buses to/from university and housing -Books and lab fees for coursework for the duration of study -Annual clothing allowance -First year settling-in allowance -Laptop computer -Academic and social mentoring and counseling to promote integration and success -Participation in a Leadership in Action Program throughout the duration of study to nurture leadership skills and community responsibility and development -Career counseling, labor market orientation and workplace activities in preparation for graduation and entering the labor market -At least 28 will have the opportunity to spend a semester or a summer term at a university in the United States (preference will be given to high performing students who have not participated in educational and cultural exchanges outside of Egypt)
More information about the fellowship:
Duration: Scholarships are awarded for 4 years.
Number of scholarships: The U.S.-Egypt Higher Education Initiative (HEI) LOTUS Scholarship Program seeks to offer comprehensive scholarships in 2014 to up to 50 talented and deserving Egyptian students to obtain undergraduate degrees from Egyptian private universities in fields of studies that are important to Egypt’s current and future development.