The Swiss National Science Foundation invites applications for PhD studentships in the area of spatial statistics. Research topics fall within the scope of a European Research Council (ERC) Advanced Grant on “Innovative Modelling to Optimise Control of Childhood Anaemia across Africa”. Funding is available for three years which covers tuition fees and a doctoral salary at Swiss National Science Foundation scale. Applicants must have a good programming skills in R and preferably Fortran and good English communication skills. Application deadline is October 31, 2013.. In the Biostatistics Unit PhD studentships in the area of spatial statistics are available. Research topics fall within the scope of a European Research Council (ERC) Advanced Grant on “Innovative Modelling to Optimize Control of Childhood Anaemia across Africa”. The project will develop Bayesian models for very large, multivariate, non-Gaussian, geostatistical and temporal data arising from disparate sources to address epidemiological questions related to anemia in Africa.. This studentship is for pursuing PhD research level at Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute in Switzerland. The research areas of this scholarship are:
Not providedWho can apply to this scholarship?
Appropriate qualifications are either a diploma in Mathematics with a substantial statistical component or in Biology or other related field followed by postgraduate qualification in Statistics.
· Applicants should have sound programming skills in R and preferably FORTRAN.
· Ability to communicate effectively in English is also essential.
· The successful applicants will join a multi
· disciplinary team that pursues research in advanced statistical modeling and Bayesian computation, applied in the area of malaria, neglected infectious diseases, mortality and cancer epidemiology.
· Successful applicants will be registered for a PhD degree at the University of Basel.Benefits of the scholarship:
The studentships provide support for 3 years and cover tuition fees and a doctoral salary at Swiss National Science Foundation scale. The positions are available immediately however a later starting date is possible by negotiation.
More information about the fellowship:Duration:
The studentships provide support for 3 years.Number of scholarships: