Institute for Environment and Sustainability at Joint Research Centre of European Commission is offering PhD scholarship Climate Risk Management Unit of the European Commission’s DG Joint Research Centre. Spoken and written English is required; Knowledge of German, French or Italian would be an added advantage. Interested candidates should be aware that they will have to register with a university. Application should be submitted by 20/09/2013.. The Climate Risk Management Unit of the European Commission’s DG Joint Research Centre is looking for a doctoral student to advance its pre-normative research on standards for quality assessments of Earth Observation products. In support of Copernicus/GMES a newly developed model-based quality assurance framework is to be applied to the benchmarking of field validation protocols for Essential Climate Variables (ECVs) over land. Using validated Monte Carlo ray-tracing models the successful candidate will: – develop unbiased approaches assessing the quality of in situ measurement schemes for LAI, FAPAR and/or albedo. – assess and rank the performance of CEOS recommended field validation protocols for selected land ECVs.Interested candidates should be aware that they will have to register with a university but that their PhD work is carried out on the premises of the JRC which is located at the shores of lake Maggiore in the foothills of the Italian Alps.. This scholarship is available for pursuing PhD research program at Institute for Environment and Sustainability JRC in Italy. The research areas of this scholarship are:
Not providedWho can apply to this scholarship?
· The ideal candidate should have a university degree giving access to doctoral studies in the fields of: remote sensing, applied mathematics, physics, meteorology, computer vision or science, astrophysics, and climate modeling.
· Experience with topics like: radiation transfer modeling, remote sensing data analysis, environmental/atmospheric/physical modeling, metrology, computer graphics, laboratory/field measurements is an advantage.
· Programming experience (C and linux shell scripts) as well as skills with packages like IDL or Matlab or R is an asset.
· Good knowledge of spoken and written English is ideal.
· The knowledge of German, French or Italian would be an advantage.
· Relevant publications should be highlighted.Benefits of the scholarship:
More information about the fellowship:Duration:
Duration of PhD grant is 36 months.Number of scholarships: