The Department of Ecology and Natural Resources Management of the Center for Development Research offers a MSc thesis opportunity to: Evaluation of locally developed climate change farming coping measures in the Western African Sudan savannah: Agroforestry. Applicants must have enrolled in a master’s program in a German university. Fluency in English language and good knowledge of the French language is required. Duration of masters’ position is 6 to 8 months. Email your application by October 15th 2013.. In the framework of the West African Science Service Center on Climate Change and Adapted Land Use (WASCAL; www.wascal.org), the Work Package 3.3 Farmers´ priorities and perceptions of climate change and the evaluation of local adaptation strategies explore the interdependent processes of how climate change is locally perceived, the major determinants of innovativeness for adaptation, and the performance of coping and adaptation measures to increase livelihoods resilience. Agroforestry practices are valid measures to mitigate climate change and climate variability impacts, as well as contributing to small households’ adaptability. The MSc thesis will address the coping potential of the local agroforestry practice ‘trees in parklands’ in the cycle: firewood demand-deforestation-natural assets depletion-agricultural productivity reduction.. This bursary is for pursuing masters at Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-University of Bonn, Germany. The research areas of this scholarship are:
Not providedWho can apply to this scholarship?
· The required profile considers:
· Being enrolled in a master’s program on Agroforestry, agriculture, forestry, geography, intermingled or related discipline in a German university
· Proficiency in biophysical and socioeconomic field data collection methods
· Proficiency in data processing and analysis: statistics, ethnography and GIS
· Knowledge on modeling is an asset
· Ability to work independently and committedly
· To be a team player, adaptive and proactive
· Fluency in English language and good knowledge of French languageBenefits of the scholarship:
The appointed candidate will received a lump sum for travel, living and research costs, logistic support in the field and general backstopping of a senior scientist along with whole the process.
More information about the fellowship:Duration:
Not KnownNumber of scholarships: