IOP Teacher Training Scholarships are open for the 2015/16 academic year. Applicants must have a physics, engineering or mathematics degree, or have a conditional offer for university-led or school-led (non-salaried) teacher training subject to completing a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course in physics. Students of UK, European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland can apply for these IOP teacher training scholarships. Up to 150 IOP Teacher Training Scholarships will be awarded to the applicants. The application deadline is 9 February 2015.. To make becoming a physics teacher even more rewarding we are awarding 150 Teacher Training Scholarships to the most outstanding individuals entering physics teacher training in the 2015/16 academic year. As an IOP Scholar you will not only receive £25,000 tax-free funding, you will also become part of a scholarship community giving you endless opportunities to build a network of support on your journey to becoming a teacher.. Scholarships are available to undertake teacher training in England and do a PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate in Education / Professional Graduate Certificate in Education) course or have a School Direct (non-salaried) place
The research areas of this scholarship are: Scholarships are awarded in the field of Physics.
Who can apply to this scholarship?
· Have a physics, engineering or mathematics degree, or have a conditional offer for university
· led or school
· led (non
· salaried) teacher training subject to completing a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course in physics
· Have an excellent, proven (or predicted) relevant academic record with a first or 2.1 degree; or hold a PhD or master’s degree or recognised equivalent. If you have a 2.2 degree we will consider your application if you can demonstrate significant physics
· related industrial experience
· Have an excellent understanding of school
· level physics
· Have an excellent ability to explain physics ideas at school
· Have an interest in physics education
· Possess the qualities required to be an inspirational teacher of physics
· By September 2015 secure your training place on an eligible university
· led or school
· led (non
· salaried) physics or physics with maths course in England for the 2015/16 academic year
· Be eligible to apply for a tuition fee loan from the Student Loans Company
· Meet the bursary eligibility criteria as set out in the National College for Teaching and Leadership’s bursary guidance
Benefits of the scholarship: As an IOP Scholar applicant will not only receive £25,000 tax-free funding, they will also become part of a scholarship community giving them endless opportunities to build a network of support on their journey to becoming a teacher. The 2015/16 IOP Teacher Training Scholarships package includes: -£25,000 tax-free funding -IOP Membership -Early career mentoring from experienced physics teachers through ourStimulating Physics Network programme -Celebration events at the beginning and end of your training -Networking events and educational trips exclusively for scholars throughout your training year -Opportunities to contribute to physics education policy
More information about the fellowship:
Duration: For a full-time course, payment is usually made on a monthly basis. For a part-time course, part of the scholarship can be awarded at the start of applicants training and the remainder of it awarded at the beginning of the second year of training.
Number of scholarships: Up to 150 IOP Teacher Training Scholarships will be offered.