EDCTP is offering Master’s Fellowship worth of 750,000 Euro in Epidemiology and Medical Statistics. Fellowship is provided for Master’s training to support the Fellow to undertake a taught master’s course at an internationally recognised centre of excellence and to carry out a small-scale research project (6-12 months duration) in sub-Saharan Africa. The maximum duration of the fellowship is two years. Applicants of sub Saharan Africa who hold a first degree are eligible to apply for this fellowship. Application must be submitted by 28 November 2013.. The EDCTP Master’s Fellowship in Epidemiology and Medical Statistics aims to build research capacity in sub-Saharan Africa by supporting the training and career development of junior researchers in the fields of epidemiology and medical statistics. The scheme provides funds for the fellow to undertake a taught master’s course in epidemiology or medical statistics at an internationally recognize center of excellence and to conduct a field study of 6-12 months duration at an institution in sub-Saharan Africa to build practical skills. The maximum duration of the fellowship is two years. Proposals that include south-south and north-south partnerships between sites with established epidemiological research platforms and sites with limited capacity are encouraged.. Fellowship is provided for Master’s training to support the Fellow to undertake a taught master’s course at an internationally recognised centre of excellence and to carry out a small-scale research project (6-12 months duration) in sub-Saharan Africa.
The research areas of this scholarship are: Not provided
Who can apply to this scholarship?
· Applications should be submitted by an established researcher (the Primary Supervisor) to support a named fellowship candidate (the Fellow) who will undertake the fellowship under the supervision and mentor ship of the Primary Supervisor.
· Applications may include Secondary Supervisors who provide input to the project and additional support to the Fellow.
· The Fellow should fulfill the following requirements: Citizens or persons with permanent residency who are based in one of the following sub
· Saharan countries: Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Republic of Congo, Ivory Coast, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea
· Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia or Zimbabwe
· Hold a first degree (bachelor’s or medical qualification)
· Be at an early stage in his/her research career, but with some relevant work experience and a demonstrated interest and motivation in pursuing a research career in epidemiology, medical statistics or data management in sub
· Saharan Africa
· Be based at a non
· profit academic/research institution in sub
· Saharan Africa that is able to comply with EDCTP’s General Contract Terms and Financial Guidelines and to provide a post for the Fellow on completion of the award
· Have the support of a Primary Supervisor and, where applicable, Secondary Supervisor(s).
· The Primary Supervisor should fulfill the following requirements:
· Hold a post for the duration of the fellowship at a non
· profit academic/research institution in sub
· Saharan Africa or an EDCTP
· EEIG participating state where the award will be administered.
· The Primary’s Supervisor’s institution will be the Contractor with which EDCTP signs the grant contract
· Take responsibility for the overall management of the project and the EDCTP grant, including the administration of the grant in compliance with EDCTP’s General Contract Terms and Financial Guidelines
· Have a track record and an active research programme in epidemiology and/or medical statistics, with appropriate expertise to supervise and support the training of the Fellow in epidemiological and statistical methodologies
· Have a track record in training and mentoring junior researchers
· Provide an appropriate research environment and high quality supervision of the Fellow. Primary Supervisors who are not based in the location where the research project will be conducted must provide details and assurance of appropriate supervision arrangements.
· The Secondary Supervisor(s) should fulfill the following requirements:
· Hold a post for the duration of the fellowship at an institution that is able to comply with EDCTP’s General Contract Terms and Financial Guidelines
· Provide support, guidance or mentor ship to the Fellow in accordance with the training plan and research project. Supervisors based outside Europe and sub
· Saharan Africa must demonstrate that their input is essential to the project.
Benefits of the scholarship: A minimum of 750,000 Euro is available. The Fellow will receive a stipend based on the cost of living in the country where he/she studies, as well as travel costs and course fees. Research project costs can include salary support for the Fellow, consumables, essential collaborative or project-related travel, small items of equipment, field work and data collection. The majority of the requested funds (>75% of the grant budget) should support the Fellow‘s master’s training and his/her research activities conducted in sub-Saharan Africa. All requested costs must be justified in the application. The project research costs (excluding the salary) should not exceed 20,000 Euro. It is recognized that the course costs will vary depending on the location of the master’s training; however, it is expected that the total grant cost will not exceed 120,000 Euro.
More information about the fellowship:
Duration: The maximum duration of the award is 24 months.
Number of scholarships: Not provided